Celebrating Suerk's Life

14 May 2010

From John Koontz (Mercersburg '95)

I cried for Suerk again today. I heard about the reunion in August and I'm stoked. I've read all the posts and I feel badly that I didn't learn how to write nearly as well as so many other Suerk disciples. But what Suerk did for me is help me deal with emotions. I have always been a tough nut to crack but Suerk, I think, prided himself on his ability to handle all comers.

I entered his world knowing I couldn't sing. I left the Academy a first tenor, one of Suerk's projects. I smile while I cry today. Suerk continues to help me deal with my crazy emotions. I miss you Suerk, and will probably get emotional every time I see the Cleveland Indians logo, or a Boston terrier, hear "Four Strong Winds," or think about my responsibilities as a mentor to my children. Suerk taught me about mentors too.

No comments: