Celebrating Suerk's Life

13 December 2008

A Visit From Andy Crago '67

Since Alumni Weekend in the fall of '83 when I shared cider and bread with Soapy Howard and Suerk in the Swank apartment and listened to the two of them discuss an entire generation of kids who'd come before me, I have been amazed at how Suerk has managed to know so many kids so well. Each of us remain a very real part of who he is, what he values and what gives him purpose in life. Andy Crago is one of those 'kids.' He flew from Orlando to Pittsburgh for a four and a half hour visit that he and Suerk will never forget. Here's Andy's letter about that visit.








Paul Suerken...A man of influence, a brilliant mind and an unwavering sense of humor. Against all odds, as a result of his paralyzing accident, Paul or "Suerkey" as I know him, retains all of these captivating attributes, as I had the good fortune to validate a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh, Pa.



Although Matt had pretty much prepared me for my visit, and I knew it was the right thing to do, I still prayed for the "right words" as I flew up from Orlando, having never chatted with a quadriplegic, let alone a paralyzed friend.



My fears of saying the wrong things dissolved as I entered Suerk's room in the Harmarville Rehab Center, when as I yelled Suerkey, he just as quickly and instinctively yelled "Andyy." I knew instantly that Paul's spirit was intact and this was the same guy I learned to love over 40 years ago as a young, impressionable teenager, living at an all male (at the time) prep school.



Upon exchanging opening pleasantries, I had the good fortune to have Suerk ask if I could get him a Wendy's Frosty. Seems this was what he wanted more than anything in the world, at this particular time. As we talked and I fed him his beloved Frosty (medium, chocolate), he didn't let my long winded stories keep him from constantly reminding me he was ready for another mouthful, by opening his mouth wide and looking directly at the Frosty. He savored every spoonful, as much as I enjoyed assisting him in fulfilling this important request.



For 4 and 1/2 hours we reminisced....each firing out names, nicknames, swear words we had mastered and experiences we shared. His mind is sharp, certainly sharper than mine. We laughed as we mutually remembered the good times at the 'burg.



Paul has accepted his fate...."stuff" happens, as he would say. If he had his druthers, would he want things to be the way they were before the accident...sure he would. Instead, he is focused on doing what he can and what he especially wants is to be able to get on the pc. I am certain that with the many options (gadgets) available to those in similar circumstances, Paul will be communicating with us once again.



As we said our farewells, Paul was preparing to be transferred the next day back to Western Reserve in Erie. I told Suerkey to take care, kissed him on his bald head and told him I loved him.



I will forever remember the twinkle in his eyes, his closed mouth smile (as I left) and what he meant to this impressionable 59 year old kid. "New Boys" together in 1965....friends for a lifetime.



Andy Crago

Class of 1967

No comments: