Celebrating Suerk's Life

08 November 2008

A Word From Jackie Powell

To Friends of Paul Suerken
From Jackie Powell

When Matt Simar told me that Paul is now in HealthSouth Harmarville Rehab in Pittsburgh, I was delighted because it is so near. Harmarville is just 5 miles away from where I now live (Longwood at Oakmont, a retirement home near the Oakmont Country Club - scene of last year's PGA golf tournament.) Harmarville is an outstanding faciility where Paul is getting the best of care and is glad to be there. It was hard to see him the first time for me since his accident - trapped in a body which lies or sits very still, a far cry from the Boston Marathon runner. But Paul, typically, is making the best of it. He is a realist about his condition, talks about it freely, and seems to have accepted things as they are and intends to remain as happy as he can. He is probably the favorite patient of aides, nurses and therapists who work with him as is clear from the way they speak with him when they come by - he is so appreciative of everything they do for him. While he has some difficulty talking because of shortness of breath, it has not dampened his spirits or enthusiasm. When I saw him first a few days ago, he beamed and said that I looked "wonderful", and I responded with a grin - "I wish I could say the same for you" at which we both had a good laugh. It was so good to hear that familiar laugh and see the smile and dancing eyes. Yes, Paul is there. He wants to hear any news, asks about various people, and we talk about so many differenct things. The campus there is beautiful, and a couple of days ago they took him outside for the first time in a wheelchair, which he enjoyed immensely as the day was warm and beautiful. I shall see him several times a week as long as he remains at Harmarville - it is a joy to me to reconnect with an old and dear friend. His friends mean so much to Paul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear Suerk is doing better. I think of him often and have wondered how he was getting along. He touched so many of us in large and small ways. Some more than even we recognize.

One of my favorite M'burg memories was a day no one in English class was concentrating. Suerk yelled, "everybody up, out to the track". We didn't think he was serious but he was. We all got up Suerk too of course and ran a lap then came back inside to finish the class.

Good times! Oh, and I still remember the first 18 lines of Chaucer! :)

-Shannon Rawley 1995