Celebrating Suerk's Life

15 October 2008

Elephant Scabs

If you’re fortunate enough to visit Suerk during mealtime, you’ll find that you will be the one he chooses to have feed him. I was taken aback. I have been through a lot and I have seen a lot, but somehow the act of feeding my teacher gave me a strange chill. That chill vanished quickly, though, and the rhythm of the feeding became comforting in a way. “Meat, please. Juice, please. Peas, please. Juice, please.” Eventually, you learn the order of things and can anticipate him before he needs to make the request. And the rhythm is punctuated with humor and laughs. I never did share the food with him, and no one would want to given the contorted facial expressions he displays upon tasting most of what he eats. One afternoon when I lifted the cover off the platter, Suerk took a look at the veal and conjured the voice of Doc Prevost. “Oh, Jesus! Elephant scabs again!” But he ate the scabs and most everything else served him. And that’s how that went.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Matt,

I know what you mean about feeding Suerk, and it feeling quite uncomfortable at first... and the "rhythm" you fall into...'

But the thing that amazes me is Suerk's constant gentlemanly demeanor. The "please" before every bite... and the humor about the food!

Suerk has had a hard time dealing with the move, but he is forging ahead, and the transfer is set for 10AM on Tuesday, Oct. 21. Dave McChesney and I will be accompanying him on the trip. When we get there, I will try to find out how we can all communicate with him.

Keep him in your prayers, because the next two weeks I am sure will be especially hard.... new people, new routines, and very few friends at his bedside. I know that I will only be able to get there once a week... and some of his friends cannot even make the trip. It is about 2 and a half hours from Erie... so a trip there, time with Paul, and a trip back will take a good 6 hours... not easy to do when you have family demands of your own.

Stay in touch,

Joanna Bush